About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country's largest physician-led, minority-owned, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 33 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
***Unit Clerk/Unit Assistant ICU 24hrs/Evenings
Unit Information Secretaries work in the nursing area of hospitals. They are primarily the conduit for information management and processing, to ensure the operations of the unit. Actual interpretation of data collected may vary by type of unit.
- Coordinate unit activity, main point of contact between unit and transport, ancillaries, and physicians.
- Answers all calls by identifying department and name.
- Aware of new orders – transport and ancillary orders, if a test is added etc and communicates to the appropriate nurse.
- Maintains and updates physician pager numbers monthly for nurses, this will be essential during downtime.
- Report any telephone problems to communications and bump up the chain of command to Director/Supervisor.
- Maintain a list of phone numbers of physicians in the area.
- Monitors that all patients have proper arm bands on. Contact registration/admissions for replacement.
- Maintain stock of lab/x-ray requisitions for downtime.
- Report printer and computer problems to help desk/ put a ticket in and inform Director/Supervisor.
- Provides and tracks data: i.e. page to MD and response, discharge information etc as requested for flow of the department.
- Orders and maintains accurate par levels for inventories.
- Assists in maintaining a safe environment and intervenes appropriately.
- Utilizes the proper procedures and addresses patients’ concerns by notifying the charge nurse, Director/Supervisor.
- Initiates and tracks appropriate facilities, BioMed, housekeeping and IT related problems/replacements/request on work orders.
- Notifies BioMed department of malfunctioning equipment and arranges repair requests, and tracks equipment to ensure it is returned to the department.
- Copies charts and other materials as requested.
- Maintains and tracks compliance with BLS, TB, Fit testing and all minimal job requirements.
- Participates on committees as requested.
- Relays accurate messages to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
- Participates in quality improvement projects as requested by Director.
- Responds to staffing needs of the healthcare team by cross-training and floating to other units.
- Performs all other duties as required for improved function, and in meeting unit goals.
- Makes staffing calls to fill holes as directed.
Management of Time and Resources:
- Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame.
- Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities.
- Develops and maintains efficient working relationships.
- Is reliable in respect to attendance and punctuality.
- Recognizes the importance of team efforts and partners with others to achieve positive outcomes.
- Is part of a team effort to ensure quality services.
- Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
- Produces quality results.
- Continually strives to improve the quality of work.
- Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
- Monitors paper documentation to ensure dates/time/signatures etc are documented.
- Keeps nursing desk clean and tidy. Ensures appropriate books and manuals, forms etc are in the appropriate place and current.
- Where telemetry exists boxes are inventoried, checked on discharge that box is in slot.
- Organizes work spaces as requested by Director of the department.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Orients or precepts new personnel as assigned and acts as a resource for other professionals, patients and others.
- Knowledgeable of the units’ specific quality indicators.
- Actively seeks out unit and/or service related classes.
- Maintains compliance with hospital unit specific competencies.
- Attends staff meeting and/or reads staff meeting minutes to stay abreast of happenings within the organization.
- Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
- Demonstrates an understanding of relative hospital and all-departmental policies and procedures including safety issues.
- Ability to work independently with well developed organizational skills in order to prioritize tasks.
- Demonstration of flexibility and willingness
- Demonstrates verbal and written communication skills to effectively interact with staff through voicemail, email, etc.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer’s satisfaction.
- Ensures patients and family members are attended to in a caring and attentive manner.
- Responds to the needs of patients/family members in a timely manner and maintains a professional and friendly demeanor at all times.
- Works cohesively as a member of the Patient Care Team and takes a proactive role in ensuring the smooth and efficient operation of the unit.
- Greets all patients and provides them with the admission packet and basic information.
- Respects and supports a culturally diverse staff and patient population.
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Demonstrates computer knowledge
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Customer service skills
- High School Education
- Ability to assist lifting and carrying up to 20lbs.
- Ability to sit for an extended period of time.
- College degree preferred
- Previous experience in role preferred
- Meditech knowledge preferred
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.