Unit Secretary - Float Pool - Per Diem
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion, and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Unit Secretary - Float Pool - Per Diem
I. Position Function:
Under the supervision of the Patient Care Director, the unit secretary will perform a variety of secretarial duties in support of the administrative and clinical functions on the unit to which he/she is assigned.
II. Job Relationships:
Supervised and/or reportable to the following, by job category:
- Patient Care Director
- His/her designee
Must be able to collaborate and effectively communicate with physicians, nurses and other health care professionals.
To coordinate the shift activities of the unit as outlined below.
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
- Serves as unit receptionist, greeting visitors and, when necessary, directing personnel to
- Checks unit and individual e-mail at least once a shift.
- Serves as a resource/preceptor to new unit secretaries and RNs regarding computer training needs/skills.
- Answers telephones using proper etiquette and relays messages/information as necessary.
- Pages Codes as directed using correct emergency number.
- Pages health care providers as directed.
- Serves as a communications liaison between unit and other departments.
- Serves as a communication liaison among patients, family members, doctors and nurses.
- Participates in staff meetings/conferences as appropriate. Attends monthly unit
- Maintains a professional demeanor to patients, professional staff, co-workers, and maintains
positive customer relations skills.
- Distributes mail.
- Arranges patient transport using the VIP system.
- Arranges for the transportation of specimens to the lab using the VIP system and Pneumatic
- Brings all sign-in sheets to staffing office daily.
- Assembles new admit packets and charts with forms printed to Blue Chip printer on admission.
- Obtains old medical records from the Medical Record Department as needed.
- Labels patients room according to unit protocol.
- Calls admitting with all new admits, transfers and room changes to the unit in a timely manner.
- Obtains HO assignments for all new admissions, transfers, and post them.
- Using the Blue Chip System, Forms are printed as needed: Patient ID bracelets,
Patient labels, Face sheet, Physician orders, Multi-disciplinary Notes, Emergency
Department forms, Med sheets, Consult sheets, Consent forms and Kardex.
- Takes information on new admissions and transfers from the Admitting department and communicates this information to charge nurse.
- Makes sure patient teaching tools are at the bedside.
- Calls transport using the VIP system to send patient valuables (in a valuable envelope)
to the cashier's office.
TRANSCRIPTION OF PHYSICIAN ORDERS:
- Transcribes physician's orders according to the nursing policy and procedure.
- Enter ordered diets into computer and notifies dietary office when the diet has been changed
and also updates the changes in the computer.
- Coordinates the scheduling of tests, lab work and consults.
- Enters consults, labs, tests, diets into the computer.
- Files all paper work: Flow sheets, Medication sheets, Blood Bank Forms for patients who
have had Transfusions, Radiology, MRI, CT, Operative Reports and EKGs.
- Maintains the patient's medical record assuring that forms are in the proper place under correct tab.
- Thins charts as needed and properly labels the thinned medical record using correct label.
- Checks all charts daily to make sure there is blank Physician Order sheets, blank Multi-disciplinary
Progress Notes and Patient labels.
- Prepares pre-operative packets to be sent with patients going to the operating room.
- Initiates appropriate CareMap on each patient.
- Immediately processes discharges in the computer.
- Prepares discharge medical records, including any thinned charts, and old records,
- Enters discharge date in census/log and informs Environmental Services.
- Sends Discharge Summary and Referral with patient upon discharge when appropriate.
- Books ambulance, Chair car, per request of Care Manager.
- Faxes documents to other hospitals or Facilities on discharge per Care Manager.
- Maintains daily supply stock, including CSR, Patient Equipment, laundry and pharmacy
- Communicates supply needs to Unit Coordinator. Orders supplies for immediate
use as necessary.
- Calls CSR, Patient Equipment, Central Processing, Laundry as needed for supplies for
immediate on in time use.
- Notifies the Help Desk with mal functioning computers.
- Notifies Maintenance any broken machines/ beds.
- Notifies the Operator problems with the telephones on the unit.
- Keeps informed of any changes in report procedures, as in death certificates, patient
restraints, patients at risk for falls.
- Maintains census book accuracy during the shift with admissions, transfers, deaths and
- Maintains and updates Patient Assignment board.
- Keeps area of Nurses station neat and clutter free.
- Maintains unit assignment sheet on a daily basis and files in binder or unit for a period of 3 years.
- Prints all computer reports as necessary.
- Serves as unit's "Downtime Resource" for all staff.
- Orients new staff to DT procedures and DT packet.
- Assures that the Downtime packet is accessible and well stocked with requisition forms needed during any downtime period.
- Attends unit secretary monthly meetings.
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
Performs all other related or similar duties as requested or required by PCD or designee to facilitate patient care or unit function.
V. Reporting Requirements:
Reports immediately to the PCD or designee any delays or difficulties in the delivery of services.
Reports to the PCD or designee situations requiring his/her attention.
Shall be accountable for maintaining the confidentiality of patient-related data and information.
Shall be accountable for abiding by all relevant hospital policies and procedures.
Shall be responsible for observing all policies and procedures of the Nursing Division.
Shall be responsible for maintaining professional and courteous behavior.
High School Graduate.
Hospital experience or Doctor's Office/medical experience necessary.
Excellent telephone skills.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Refined organizational skills.
Experience with computer systems preferred.
Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
Excellent customer relations skills.
Ability to prioritize secretarial functions.
No certification/licensure required.
Training provided on unit with experienced unit secretary preceptor.
Session with Lead Unit Secretary/Unit Coordinator.
Able to handle multiple tasks at one time.
Important COVID message
Please note, St. Elizabeth's Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence, and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled, and professional way.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.