UNIT SECRETARY Full Time Days
HOURS: 32 hour days 7:00a-3:30p
• Transcribes and transmits physician’s orders to appropriate areas under the supervision of the R.N.
• Demonstrates competence in functioning as a receptionist on the nursing unit and communicating with physicians, ancillary departments, patients and visitors.
• Answers telephones, takes messages and communicates messages to the appropriate person in a timely manner.
• Receives, places and transfers calls using appropriate telephone etiquette.
• Handles telephone information requests with courtesy, accuracy and timeliness.
• Works in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team to achieve patient and unit goals.
• Inventories and orders unit stock to ensures proper supplies are on hand.
• Demonstrates the ability to adapt to change in the workload.
• Initiates patients charts on admission and maintains in appropriate organizational and sequential order.
• Demonstrates a complete knowledge and use of all forms.
• Demonstrates an ability to perform in an accurate and precise manner in crises and emergency situations when time is essential.
• Communicates with the R.N. any treatments results, observations, patient complaints and other pertinent information regarding the conditions of the patients.
• Performs analytical and decision-making functions with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrates an understanding of relative Hospital and all-departmental policies and procedures including safety issues.
• Possesses awareness of programs/services provided by Hospital and where they are located.
• Maintains Professional Boundaries with patients.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Management of Time and Resources:
• Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame.
• Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities.
• Develops and maintains efficient working relationships.
• Is reliable in respect to attendance and punctuality.
• Recognizes the importance of team efforts and partners with others to achieve positive outcomes.
• Participated as a member of the healthcare team to ensure quality services.
• Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
• Attends Staff Meetings
• Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
• Continually strives to improve the quality of work by participating in the Quality Improvement activities for the department.
• Responsible for ongoing development of his/her work skills using available resources (i.e.: Steward University, inservices, formal educational programs, other work groups and on-the-job training).
• Assists in the orientation of others and actively participates in mentoring.
• Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
• Is cooperative in interactions, treating customers with courtesy, respect and compassion.
• Is patient when responding to questions and answers questions appropriately.
• Responds to requests in a timely manner.
• Handles interruptions in a skillful way.
• Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
• Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer’s satisfaction.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Basic computer skills.
• Customer Service skills.
• Ability to manage more than one task at a time.
• Ability to follow through on short and long-term tasks.
• 42 CFR – Part 2 law governing patient confidentiality in Substance Use Disorder Treatment Programs.
• High school diploma/GED equivalent
• Preferred previous clerical/administrative experience
• Experience with multiline telephone systems preferred.
• Experience in a Behavioral Health clinical service preferred.
• Basic computer skills required.
• Experience with EMR, particularly Meditech, preferred.