Unit Secretary — $16.37/hr - $24.32/hr based on Collective Bargaining Agreement with 1199 SEIU and years of experience.
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
Unit secretary handles comprehensive administrative, scheduling, supply and non-clinical support within the Hospital's medical offices/departments. They perform clerical duties to maintain an organized healthcare office and allow medical staff to focus on patient care; also maintaining an effective line of communication within the department, within the hospital and between the patient and clinical staff; provide superior customer service to all who interact with the department.
Union and Steward Benefits to help you live well!
- Low cost Medical/Prescription Drug Insurance through BCBS
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- 401k via Fidelity for eligible employees with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Worldwide Travel Assistance
- Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Auto and Home Insurance
- Hospital Indemnity Insurance
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
- Maintains a professional and organized workspace
- Adhere to all departmental procedures / policies
- Assembles, labels, maintains and updates patient records / Information
- Coordinate departmental recordkeeping and billing
- Coordinate unit activity and serve as a main point of contact between patient, unit, transport, ancillaries and physicians
- Data entry
- Demonstrates awareness and respect of cultural differences, values and beliefs.
- Ensure / facilitate effective departmental and interdepartmental communication that results in superior patient care / experience
- Ensure consistent compliance with all departmental / hospital policies and procedures
- Ensures accurate and timely completion of all assignments
- Ensures all patients have appropriate identification / banding
- Maintains patient confidentiality / privacy; demonstrates awareness of patient rights
- Other duties as assigned
- Participate in efforts to ensure / improve operational efficiency and patient experience
- Precepting newly onboarded team members
- Processes incoming / outgoing mail
- Provide consistency superior customer service to patients, physicians, clinical staff and all who interact with the department.
- Provide efficient and effective problem resolution as needed
- Provides lateral service to team members
- Records / medical chart maintenance
- STE / Unique
- Supply Order & Replenishment
- Transcription of physician orders
- Welcomes patients and visitors in a warm and professional manner
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Continued Learning
- Customer Service
- Medical Terminology
- Organizational Skills
- Telephone Etiquette
- Computer Proficiency: MS Word, Excel, Email, Fax, department specific programs
- Strong command of grammar / written communication
- English Fluency
- Typing 45 WPM
- Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Software/Hardware: Microsoft Word, Excel, other programs as needed
- Experience: One year administrative experience required
Important COVID message
Please note, Carney Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Equal Employment Opportunity Notice:
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.