Vice President, Business Development
The VP of Business Development assists senior leadership in identification of service line and business development opportunities to broaden Steward Medical Group’s portfolio of services, priorities and organizational direction. The VP assists by providing direction on strategic planning, market positioning, business plans, partnerships, joint ventures, physician acquisition and integration and large-scale capital projects. The VP primary responsibility is to create and determine what potential opportunities there are for Steward Medical Group’s expansion. The VP will lead the analysis of data, market intelligence, and communicate with potential partners and vendors as well as collaborate with management to develop recommendations that support growth and sustainability of services. The VP will create and collaborate on the development of implementation plans and success metrics. The VP will be a key contributor in the development of external partnerships and evaluation of acquisitions, joint-ventures, and other partnerships. The VP will be a member of the President’s senior leadership team.
- Lead initiatives that drive long-term growth and assists with identifying new business opportunities, ancillary program development, & joint venture relationships.
- Ability to build strong relationships across the organization including external partners.
- Conducts detailed financial, market, and data analyses for strategic initiatives.
- Works collaboratively with the senior leadership team, communicating across all service lines and regions and works with external partners to deliver market analysis and research, as well as relationship management.
- Communicates results to various internal clients including senior executives, department leaders, and clinicians.
- Aligns and synchronizes data needed to support planning and business development initiatives.
- Source, develop, and assist in negotiating complex partnerships.
- Partner with senior leadership team to analyze market trends and identify opportunities/threats.
- Develop plans to achieve objectives related to revenue, EBITDA, capital, presence, and other key measures.
- Complete follow-up meetings with physicians, practice managers etc. to ensure thorough understanding of the physicians’ desires, needs and obstacles to growth.
- Prepare and deliver executive presentations to senior leadership teams within Company and at external partners.
- Identify regional market development opportunities.
- Develop business plans in collaboration with senior leaders, physicians, and others to grow or expand services that align with system strategy.
- Lead and facilitate planning meetings.
- Support the implementation of key initiatives that require relevant network development, as directed by the President.
- Maintain latest knowledge of the health system, hospital, and provider landscape.
- Provide timely status on accounts, opportunities, and other growth initiatives.
- Perform all duties with consistently high ethical standards and strict adherence to company policies and procedures.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Education - Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree in Health Care Administration, Business, or related field preferred.
- Health Care Experience - A minimum of seven to ten (7 to 10) years’ experience in strategy, planning, finance, business development or operations applicable to a health care environment. Demonstrated success with advanced health system planning and market development. Deep knowledge of industry dynamics (e.g., cost, quality, reimbursement, physician practice management, and risk-sharing).
- Strategy & Planning. Demonstrated experience analyzing markets, partners, and competitors to develop 3-5-year growth strategies and plans. Superior analytical and problem-solving skills, with demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor. Collaborate closely with Operations to prioritize and maintain focus on highest-value opportunities.
- Relationship Management. Passion for building trusted-advisor relationships with partners to create tangible results.
- Opportunity Management. Ability to structure and manage complex projects and processes with multiple stakeholders at both senior and junior levels. Ability to handle projects with multiple work streams, with proven success over a wide variety of business opportunities.
- Financial Analysis. Collaborates closely with other teammates that own financial modeling. Ability to analyze income statements and cash flows to help make executive decisions on growth-related projects (e.g., validation of assumptions, margins, and returns).
- Negotiations. Excellent negotiation skills with internal stakeholders and external partners. Ability to maximize value by thinking win-win and utilizing advanced negotiating strategies.
- Communications. Excellent presentation skills, including strong oral and writing capabilities; executive presence to clearly communicate compelling messages to senior leaders and business partners. High level of daily communication with peers and junior teammates.
- Advanced Computer Skills. Proficiency in MS Office, Salesforce, and other tools.
- This position is based in Dallas, TX with travel requirements of up to 50%.
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety