Vice President, Strategic Communications
Location: Steward Health Care
Posted Date: 7/23/2021
- The Vice President of Communications will lead and scale Steward’s expanding external, internal, and executive communications, reputation management, media relations, community affairs and industry thought leadership functions.
- Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this seasoned, high-energy individual will work closely with the VP, Corporate Marketing, and other C-suite executives to expand Steward’s visibility and industry leadership position as the largest physician led and owned healthcare company in the U.S.
- Serve as lead media spokesperson for Steward Health Care, crafting and delivering on and off the record communications to trade, local, national, and international media.
- Develop and implement a company-wide communications plan to advance the Steward brand on a national basis; protect reputation, broaden awareness of clinical programs, and increase visibility of our programs and executive leadership goals.
- Coordinate and lead all high acuity reputation and crisis planning, rapid response and recovery, including where necessary providing 24-7 on-the-ground support to corporate and facility leaders.
- Partner with regional corporate marketing team to coordinate proactive and reactive media relations and issues management protocols across all facilities and departments.
- Partner with corporate marketing to develop consistent standards and compelling content for Steward’s external facing social media channels.
- Supervise external public relations agency partner, ensuring KPIs are met and exceeded; partner with other consultants (e.g. government relations, advertising, regulatory compliance) to ensure strategic alignment and coordination.
- Provide expert guidance and mechanisms to maximize the effectiveness of communication programs and maximize positive visibility including but not limited to evaluating and integrating media monitoring, analytics, journalist databases and employee engagement technology platforms.
- Optimize Steward’s internal communication strategy to effectively amplify company-wide and division specific distribution, positive storytelling, employer brand awareness, morale, and message consistency.
- Lead executive thought leadership and communications programming including coordinating and vetting speaking engagements, facility tours, panels, earned media, industry association board memberships and sponsorships.
- Conduct advanced measurement and if necessary, course correction of PR program effectiveness of PR strategy execution.
- Prepare impact reports, analysis and recommendations for maximization and enhancement of overall reputation and brand.
- Advise on participation in local philanthropic and community development activities and events.
- Manage PR-related content, repositories and archives including internal communications and crisis plans
- Performs other duties and projects as requested.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Successful track record of leading development and execution of strategic communications and public affairs plans and programs for high profile companies and brands.
- Demonstrated success in developing strategic multi-faceted communications plans and converting them into tactical programs, specific experience with progressive use of digital and web-related communication tools.
- Experience managing sensitive, rapidly unfolding reputational events while demonstrating bias for action and delivering results under tight deadlines including high-pressure, ambiguous scenarios. Grace under pressure.
- Knowledge and communications experience within the health care and hospital industry
- Effective leader who is adept at managing complex change, and who can build trust and inspire those inside and outside their direct sphere of influence.
- Ability to work with and influence multiple internal and external stakeholder audiences, leading and driving coordination and integration of communication activities across business units.
- Exceptional ability to build relationships with people from diverse areas of the business and external "key influencers."
- Conduct third-party outreach and engagement when needed and represent the company in an official capacity at public events.
- Effective driving initiatives and getting programs off the group in a complex, fast paced organization.
- Self-starter with team orientation, entrepreneurial skill set, able to identify and initiate programs quickly.
- Understanding and exposure to health care industry regulatory compliance system
- Experience with social media in the health care arena is preferred.
- Education: Bachelor's degree required; Masters preferred.
- Experience (Type & Length): At least 15 years' experience in communications, public affairs, media relations with 5+ in a senior management level for a medium or large company, PR agency or non-profit organization